Light Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

I am on a mission to not get sick!  I work at an elementary school now and half of the kids are sick and won't stop touching me/high fiving me.  I have been washing my hands like every ten minutes.  Or pretty much every time a kid touches me.  Today I had to go to cpr training and they only had five mannequins for a class of 20 to share.  And 6 of those people were coughing a ton and were sick and the only thing we were doing was taking an alcohol swab to clean the mouth that we had to blow in!  The teacher must be crazy if she thinks that I will put my mouth on something when just an alcohol swab was used and then share it with another sick person, ya right!  Especially since I just learned in microbiology that alcohol swabs don't do anything and that the rubbing action does more than the actual alcohol does.  Same with hand sanitizer.  So pretty much I didn't blow into the dummys mouth and people were looking at me.  I really don't care though, who knows what kind of bronchitis crap i could have caught from everyone else. That was my day.  On to the cupcakes.


I love cupcakes.  I wish that they were healthy.  I don't really make them that much because I don't love baking just eating.  Instead I go to the coffee shop, they have the best cupcakes.  A lot better than sprinkles in my opinion.  If you haven't been there you need to check it out.  It is right next to Joe's Farm grill.  I found a recipe for healthier cupcakes in Alicia Silverstone's book, "The Kind Diet."  I changed mine up a little bit from hers.

Ingredients
Cupcakes:
2/3 cup vanilla soy milk or vanilla coconut milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup agave
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt

Fudge frosting:
1/2 cup earth balance butter
1/2 cup agave
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup soy milk powder (I didn't use this but the recipe says if you use this your frosting will be thicker)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F
Combine the milk and vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for five minutes then add the agave, oil, and vanilla and stir.  In a separate bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry until it is completely mixed.

Bake for 18-22 minutes

Frosting directions:
after mixing all of the ingredients let sit in the fridge while the cupcakes bake.

If you make about 16 cupcakes it should be around 150 calories per cupcake.  I want to get a mini cupcake pan.  Mini cupcakes are the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment